Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Fall Flavors: CornBread Stuffing

It is officially cold today! I am wrapped up snug as a bug in my soft velvet throw, sipping on some warm tea & thinking about eating a biscuit with homemade applebutter, yum! Post on that later this week! Yay! 

I am so enjoying this fall back in time we had on Sunday! I don't know about you guys, but I'm waking up early & getting some serious work done! Really the only thing I've noticed that I don't like, is that my mail is getting delivered after dark & I'm getting the wrong mail, Whoops! I think I might have to slip the mailman a flashlight tomorrow, maybe it will be part of his Christmas gift this year, a nice fancy LED flashlight. What do you guys think?

Here is what I'm listening to while I write, thought you might like to get the full effect, windows open, velvet throw, warm tea, & a little Stevie Nicks. Plus a pup wandering by, placing his head on my lap for a sweet pet & then moving on.


This is it, an everyday, holiday everyone can experience. Snuggling with a pet, sipping on tea or just having a quiet moment for yourself, make time for it!

 Last night we had pork chops, pan fried with a little seasoning & butter. They were juicy & delicious! When ever we have pork chops I like to use a tweaked Susan Branch recipe that we just love for cornbread stuffing. The only reason the recipe is tweaked is because the original recipe calls for hazelnuts & none of my local stores have had any in months!  

Susan Branch Corn Bread Stuffing 

One (1) shallot, diced
One (1) medium yellow onion, diced
Two (2) ribs of celery, diced
One (1) egg
One (1) box Jiffy cornbread mix
Two (2) Tablespoons butter
1/3 Cup milk
Heavy dash thyme

Set your oven to 350º.Begin by mixing the box of corn bread mix with one egg & 1/3 cup milk, mixture will be slightly lumpy, let sit for 5 minutes. 


While corn bread mixture rests, dice shallot, onion & celery. Place in pan & sauté on low with a heavy dash of thyme & butter, stirring frequently. 


Place cornbread into loaf pan & bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven & immediately scrape the entire loaf of bread with a fork, crumbling all of it.


 Pour into sauté pan & if needed add more butter. Stir & soak up all flavor, serve warm.

This recipe is such a hit in my home that I am being forced to make THREE types of stuffing for Thanksgiving & this is one of them! I really hope I can find some Hazelnuts by then! If I do, I  will bake them in the oven for 10 minutes at 350º, then remove & roll under my hands til the shells crack off, chop roughly & add to stuffing mix. You can also add water one tablespoon at a time if your stuffing seems dry.

Magnifique & Franklin approved!

It's just another everyday, holiday with jillie



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat! Leave your comment below!