Monday, October 21, 2013

fall flavor: gooseberry patch banana walnut bread from scratch

I'm not the authority on Fall, (though I think that sounds like a job I would be willing to sign up for), but I love so much more than pumpkin this time of year! Please don't get me wrong, pumpkin & I have quite the love affair, but really; gooey casseroles, thick stews & hearty breads all deserve a little stardom this season as well. Banana bread is another one of these use everything waste not, want not recipes I live for. The whole premise behind banana bread is to use mushy, old, on the verge of being thrown away bananas! I love it! The other wonderful thing about banana bread is that there is a very real chance you have everything you need at home already. Plus, you can make it as simple as you'd like or as much of a flavorful explosion as you like! A big thank you Gooseberry Patch as always for having some of the most delightful recipes!


Made with Love; Banana Walnut Bread


Two (2) Cups all purpose flour
One (1) Cup white sugar
Two (2) Eggs
Three (3) mushy bananas
1/2 Cup walnuts
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tesapoon salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
Sprinkle of oatmeal (optional)


  I am happy to report this is an easy recipe, but I recommend using measuring tools at this party!



Set your oven to 350º.
Get all of your ingredients gathered on your workspace.
Measure & Pour your dry ingredients; flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
Baking powder is one of those things that gets lost in the back of your cupboard, so if you're worried about it having expired this is what you do. Pour  1/2 cup hot tap water in a glass, drop 1/2 teaspoon baking powder in the water, if it fizzes, it hasn't expired!






Next add the eggs, melted butter & sliced bananas.


Use your hand masher to lightly mush the bananas into the mixture


Sprinkle in walnuts
Stir mixture with a sturdy spoon


Properly grease your pan , I use a butter stick & then coat with flour
Pour into 9" by 5" pan
Sprinkle with oatmeal & lightly press into mixture (this is totally optional)






Bake at 350º for 1 1/2 hours
Let cool
Slide knife between bread & pan
Remove loaf, Slice & Enjoy!

 

Magnifique!

What else would you add?  Strawberries, a variety of nuts, cinnamon? Are you crazy mad at me that I said pumpkin isn't the only star of Fall? Forgive me!

 

It's just another everyday holiday with jillie!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat! Leave your comment below!